How PR can drive website traffic and improve brand reputation
I have been working in PR for more than ten years and I cannot tell you how many times my friends and family have assumed I am a PA – which is quite a different role.
Granted, if you don’t work in the public relations industry, how are you supposed to really understand what PR is? (Cue visions of Eddy and Patsy from TV’s ‘Ab Fab’ series.)
It can be really easy to misunderstand the differences between PR and marketing and what both disciplines can do for your business.
Let’s break it down.
What is the difference between marketing and PR?
Marketing activity is actively promotional. It targets the customer and focusses on driving sales.
PR activity is about building long-term relationships with a broader audience. Its purpose is to build a positive reputation amongst internal staff, stakeholders and influencers.
Marketing and PR are in the same family and combining both disciplines will help to leverage goals for businesses.
Should I include PR in my marketing strategy?
- Define messaging for all audience groups with a relevant call to action
- Create a clear process for distributing messages to avoid ‘leaks’ to media
- Identify target media and key influencers to engage with
- Prepare a crisis communications plan
- Secure free editorial opportunities
- Drive traffic to your website
How to use PR as a business driver, not just a brand enhancer.
- Paid media refers to social media adverts, boosting posts and sponsored content
- Earned media is third party endorsement in newspapers and magazine articles and featuring on radio or TV, blogger reviews or link building
- Shared media refers to content shared online within private communities, forums or organic social media content
- Owned media is content published by you and distribution channels managed by you. This includes your website, enewsletters or blog
How can I measure the success of the PESO model?
The benefits of using the PESO model is that it is more measurable than traditional PR.
This approach offers a wealth of tangible evaluation metrics which can support wider business objectives such as:
- Driving website traffic from new audiences
- Higher ranking SEO and domain authority
- Data capture
Embracing and executing the four media types in your strategy can enhance brand profile and give your business authority within the market place.
We can generate 69 hot leads within two months, generate a 91% increase in new visitors to your website in six months and reach an audience of more than 5 million from one press release.
Have you started thinking differently about PR yet? Why not get in touch to discuss how we can integrate PR into your marketing strategy.